Fourth Annual MANAA Media Scholarship
MANAA, the Media Action Network for Asian Americans, is pleased to announce their $1000 scholarship for college and graduate students interested in pursuing careers in filmmaking and in television production (not broadcast journalism). MANAA is the only organization of its kind dedicated to monitoring the positive and negative portrayals of Asian Pacific Americans in the media.
MANAA recognizes the urgent need to fill the ranks of television and film with persons of Asian and Pacific Islander descent in decision-making positions as screenwriters, directors, producers, and studio executives. We are looking to award students who have a strong desire to advance a positive and enlightened understanding of the Asian Pacific American experience in the mainstream media.
Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of academic and
personal merit, in addition to their desire to uplift the image of Asian
Pacific Americans in film and television as demonstrated in their essay,
work sample, and financial need.
STUDENTS MUST SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
1. A copy of all official transcripts.
2. A copy of completed financial aid documents.
3. Two letters of recommendation. One that evaluates academic aptitude and another that speaks to the student's interest and involvement in the community.
4. A double-spaced essay consisting of no more than 1,000 words answering the following questions: Where do you see yourself ten years from now? What accomplishments and strides will you hope to have made in your career in the film and television industry? How will you have worked to advance more positive images of Asian Pacific Americans in the mainstream media?
5. A work sample consisting of a short film or screenplay. Materials will not be returned. (optional, but highly recommended)
Send all completed applications to: